Top Menu

Patiently waiting

Well, our due date (July 14th) came and went and we've been managing to stay active. I'm continuing to go to my workout classes to keep some sort of routine and we've taken care of everything on our to do list. So, at this point, we are ready for this little guy and are just trying to keep busy. We've also had some really fun meals with my mom in town, manage to walk all over Central Park, got Owen's Moscow Mule floats at Sprinkles, and made homemade churro ice cream sandwiches last night in celebration of National Ice Cream Day :)
 Dinner at Han Dynasty - tried the spicy noodles to induce labor, but had no luck!
 Walked several miles through Central Park
 Bump shot
 One of my favorite spots in Central Park
 Sheep's Meadow
 We grabbed a snack at Tavern on the Green, which is one of my new favorite outdoor spots.
 We then walked back across the park and over to Sprinkles to get an Owen's Moscow Mule float!
 They not only looked awesome, but tasted delicious!
 Jennie and me
 Didn't like them one bit!
 We then took my mom to our favorite Greek restaurant that evening.
 The food is really good and it's such a fun atmosphere.
 On Sunday, we woke up and lounged around our apartment. I made a Dutch Baby and we enjoyed our coffee while watching the Wimbledon tennis finals.
 We then decided to go for a long walk with the hopes of inducing labor....I think we walked over 4 miles and of course, no sign of the baby!
 We did manage to try a new lunch spot in Tribeca called Bubby's, which was so good! They had a freshly sliced turkey sandwich, something I've been craving my entire pregnancy but haven't had because most deli meat isn't fresh. But since this was sliced on the spot from a roasted turkey breast, I decided it was fine to eat. Tyler made fun of me the entire meal as I just smiled and thoroughly enjoyed each and every bite :)
Last night, we hosted Sunday night dinner at our place on the roof and my mom, Josh, and Kaitlin came over. I had picked up Raffetto's and made a leek, sausage, and ricotta pasta and for dessert, served homemade churro ice cream sandwiches, which were heavenly! Below is the recipe.

Churro Ice Cream Sandwiches
I found this recipe and made a few tweaks.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups water
  • ⅓ cup oil
  • ½ tablespoon salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 32 oz. veggie oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ¼ cup cinnamon
  • 2 pints vanilla ice cream
Directions
  1. In a medium pot, bring the water, oil, and salt to a boil.
  2. Add the flour and turn the heat off. Quickly stir the flour until it forms a smooth paste/ball.
  3. Transfer the dough into a piping bag lined with a star tip. The dough is going to be really hot, so I highly suggest using gloves to hold the piping bags or let the dough cool slightly. It was surprisingly uncomfortable holding the pastry bag.
  4. Pipe 6-inch spirals onto a sheet lined with parchment paper, starting from the middle and going around in a circle, making sure that there are no gaps between the loops. I did a few sets at different sizes to give folks that might just want a small taste an option to try it without investing in a huge ice cream sandwich. Repeat with the remaining dough.
  5. Freeze the circles for at least 1.5-2 hours. I ended up layering them on a cookie sheet as I didn't have space for more than one pan.
  6. Heat oil in a small-medium sized pot over high heat. I used a smaller pot so that there was enough depth in the oil. If you use a smaller pot, fry 3-4 the circles until light golden brown, then drain them on a paper towel.
  7. Mix the sugar and the cinnamon in a separate shallow bowl. Coat each churro disc in the cinnamon sugar mix, shaking off any excess.
  8. Place a scoop of ice cream in between 2 churro discs and serve immediately. 

Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates